A mosquito sting is not an unfamiliar thing to us, is it? We have all experienced that. But mosquito bites are not a silly thing to ignore. Otherwise, you’ll catch multiple diseases like the Zika virus, West Nile virus, Chikungunya virus, Dengue fever, and malaria. There are over 3500 types of mosquitoes, but only certain varieties feed on human blood.
The UAE is fed up with mosquito-borne diseases.
Although there are so many disease-spreading insects in the UAE, the deadliest is the tiny mosquito. In the UAE alone, there are 10 species of mosquitoes as of the 2021 report. Mosquitoes are capable of breeding in the most unfavorable conditions as long as the weather is temperate.
Dubai had witnessed infectious spreads of malaria among expatriates earlier. Now, it’s challenging to get over local mosquito populations.
What makes the UAE a mosquito hub?
This is mainly due to the rapid growth in population and infrastructural development. As a result, mosquito populations grow, as does infrastructure development so the population of mosquitoes increases as well.
It’s quite natural. This blog piece throws light on the common diseases these pests spread and how you can implement effective prevention and control of mosquito-borne diseases.
A Quick Overview of Mosquito-Borne Diseases
- Malaria: Anopheles mosquitoes cause malaria. Its symptoms include fever, body aches, chills, nausea, and general discomfort. More than 5000 people in the UAE have been diagnosed with this disease so far.
- Dengue: Aedes aegypti mosquitoes spread dengue fever. Symptoms of dengue include headaches, fever, rashes, and joint and limb pain. Dengue patients require immediate medical attention because their health can rapidly deteriorate.
- Yellow fever: Yellow fever is a non-transmissible disease that is caused by the bite of an already infected mosquito. Its symptoms are very similar to those of jaundice, like fever, chills, and paleness. Improper treatment may lead to liver failure, which could be fatal.
- West Nile virus: muscle weakness, loss of appetite, and fever are associated with West Nile virus. As of now, no vaccine has been discovered to cure West Nile virus disease. It is better to get mosquito pest control to avoid getting infected with this virus.
- Zika virus: The Zika virus is a frequent disease in Dubai. The symptoms may include fever, headache, and body ache. Patients can recover from it within weeks with proper care. If mosquito control is done well, we can easily bring down the chance of getting infected.
Mosquito preventive measures to remain bite-free in the UAE
- Keep your surroundings clean: Like personal hygiene, it is also important to keep your surroundings in apple pie order. Then only we can tackle mosquito infestations to a certain extent. Wash and clean dirty containers and dishes, bird feeders, and the floor mats of your car on a daily basis.
- Wear repellent and use netting: Dusk and dawn are mosquitoes’ favorite working times. They become active during those times. So it’s mandatory to use insect repellent on exposed body parts if you or your children need to be outside at that time. Also warn your kids not to play around plants, rubbish, compost, or stagnant water, especially at these times. Don’t forget to wear shoes and long sleeves when outdoors.
- Take care of your car: It is vital to keep your car parking area clean and well lit. If not, you are increasing the chances of mosquitoes migrating into your car’s cabin. Always keep the exterior and interior of your car clean. As synthetic seats attract mosquitoes, use fabric seat covers as an alternative.
- Travel safely: If you are planning to travel somewhere, learn about destination-specific health risks and recommendations. Always keep a safe distance from mosquitoes. This is the most effective way to prevent and control mosquito-borne diseases such as malaria, dengue fever, chikungunya, Zika, and yellow fever.
Here’s your solution to ward off mosquitoes from your sight: Pest control treatment
Get an annual general pest treatment to combat mosquitoes. Pestokill is a popular pest control agency in the UAE. Quality-assured pest treatment is all that you get when you seek their service. For you, mosquitoes are scary, but for Pestokill, they are just short-lived pests.
No more heebie-jeebies, no more malaria or dengue. Trust our service.